Date Posted: October 11, 2022
If you're like most Milford homeowners, you probably don't give much thought to the occasional silverfish sighting. These small, wingless insects can cause damage over time, though, so it's important to know how to get rid of them. Big Blue Bug Solutions will discuss how silverfish got their name, what they eat, their habits and behavior, and how professional pest control in Milford can help you get rid of them for good.
How Did Silverfish Get Their Name?
These insects get their name from their silver-gray color and fish-like shape. Silverfish size can range from a half inch to an inch long. They have three long, slender tails that are the same length as their bodies. There are several different species of these insects in North America, but the types of silverfish most common in Milford are the common silverfish and the gray silverfish.
Silverfish are nocturnal and are often found near sources of food, such as kitchens and pantries. Because they're attracted to moisture, you may also find silverfish in your bathroom or basement.
The Purpose Of Silverfish
Long-tailed silverfish are primitive insects that date back to the time of dinosaurs. Their purpose is to help break down organic matter. They help decompose leaves, dead insects, and other organic matter. They are also an important food source for many animals, including bats, birds, and lizards. However, this doesn't mean that you want them in your home. Silverfish infestations can do a lot of damage by eating your food, books, clothes, and even wallpaper.
Habits And Behavior Of Silverfish
Silverfish are attracted to damp areas and will often hide in basements, crawlspaces, and bathrooms. Silverfish diets usually consist of carbohydrates, such as sugar and flour, as well as paper products. Once they find a food source, they'll continue to return to it until it's gone. Since silverfish are known to eat paper and cloth, they're often found in libraries and museums.
Over time, their eating habits can cause serious damage to your home. Some examples of damage silverfish can do in your home include:
- Eating holes in clothes, curtains, and upholstery: Silverfish are attracted to natural fibers, such as cotton and wool. They will often eat holes in clothes that are stored in damp areas like basements and crawlspaces.
- Damaging books: Silverfish enjoy eating the glue that holds book bindings together. Over time, this can damage the structure of your books.
- Eating through wallpaper: Silverfish will eat the paste that holds wallpaper in place, which can cause your wallpaper to peel and blister.
- Causing yellowing or staining on clothing, wallpaper, and books: Silverfish excrete a yellowish substance that can cause staining on a variety of surfaces.
- Damaging photos and important documents: Silverfish are attracted to the starch in photos and important documents. This can cause the images to fade or become discolored.
To prevent the damage caused by these pests, it's important to get rid of them as soon as possible. The best way to get rid of silverfish is with professional pest control in Milford. Big Blue Bug Solutions can help you get rid of silverfish and keep them from coming back.
Total Silverfish Control For Milford Residents
If you're concerned about the damage silverfish can do to your home, contact Big Blue Bug Solutions. We have more than 80 years of experience helping Milford homeowners get rid of all kinds of pests, including pesky silverfish. Our team will work with you to create a custom pest control plan that fits your needs. We'll also provide tips on how to prevent silverfish and other pests from coming back in the future. Contact us today to get started with a free inspection of your home.