Date Posted: May 22, 2023
The small, relentless creatures we know as ants can be nuisances when they invade our homes. In South Portland, we're no strangers to the annual onslaught of these determined intruders. But what if, instead of waging a futile war, we approached ant control with the same purpose, intent, and sense of community they do? In this article, we'll delve into the ant species common to our area, offer six simple ways to deter ants, and discuss calling South Portland pest control when needed.
Species Of Ants That Commonly Invade South Portland Homes
The first step in outsmarting the ants is understanding our opponents. Ants are not monolithic entities; different species have unique habits, preferences, and vulnerabilities. In South Portland, we're likely to encounter:
- Pavement ants
- Carpenter ants
- Odorous house ants
- Thief ants
- Pharaoh ants
Six Simple Ways To Deter Ants On Your Own
We may feel powerless against these tiny invaders, but in reality, we possess a wealth of tactics to ward them off. Here are six simple methods of home pest control for ants:
- Seal the deal: Ants can enter your home through the smallest cracks and crevices. Conduct a thorough inspection of your home's exterior and use caulk or weatherstripping to seal any gaps you find.
- Keep it clean: Ants are attracted to food residue and crumbs. By maintaining a clean kitchen and promptly wiping up spills, you can minimize the ant buffet.
- Store with care: Use airtight containers to store food, especially sugar, flour, and other pantry staples that ants love.
- Eliminate moisture: Many ant species are drawn to moisture. Fix leaky pipes, clean up standing water, and use a dehumidifier in damp areas.
- Trim your greenery: Overgrown vegetation can provide ants with easy access to your home. Trim back bushes, trees, and other plants that touch your home's exterior.
- Natural deterrents: Experiment with natural ant repellents, like peppermint oil or diatomaceous earth, which can be sprinkled around your home's foundation and other entry points.
Every bit of prevention we can summon is a step in the right direction. For more information, the experts at Big Blue Bug Solutions can answer questions about ant control in your house.
Should You Kill Ants You See Inside?
Killing the ants you see inside your home is not an effective ant pest control method. In fact, squashing a few ants in your home can temporarily increase the number of ants you have to deal with. The pheromones released by squashed ants can attract more ants. When an ant is crushed, it may release alarm pheromones, which are chemical signals that warn other ants of danger. These alarm pheromones can attract nearby ants to investigate the source of the disturbance and potentially defend the colony.
In some cases, the release of these alarm pheromones could cause ants to become more active or aggressive in their response to the perceived threat. They might gather in larger numbers or alter their behavior to address the danger, making it seem as if more ants are present in the area.
To manage an ant problem, it is more beneficial to focus on preventative measures and address the underlying causes of the infestation.
Call Us At The First Sign Of An Ant Problem Around Your Home
Sometimes, despite our best efforts, ant infestations spiral out of control, and you may need ant pest control services near you. When faced with an overwhelming ant problem, it's important to know when to call in reinforcements. The experts at Big Blue Bug Solutions can help you reclaim your home from unwelcome guests and prevent future invasions with our ant control solutions.