Date Posted: September 3, 2023
Category: Stinging Insects
There is a lot to love about autumn in Maine. With the crisp, cool air and changing leaves, fall creates the perfect opportunity to get outside and spend time with family and friends. Unfortunately, this is also when stinging insects reach their peak populations and become more aggressive as their food sources dwindle.
This article will provide everything you need to control stinging insects, explaining how to identify them and reviewing the risks they pose to your family. We’ll also give you tips to stay ahead of the buzz and prevent these pests from taking over your yard. Read on to learn more about controlling stinging insects in Portland with the experts from Big Blue Bug Solutions.
Understanding The Threat: Identifying Common Stinging Insects
Between bees, wasps, and hornets, it can be challenging to tell which species is causing problems on your property. But, proper identification can help you gauge their threat and make clear decisions regarding the best treatment option. The following list describes the most common types of stinging insects we find in Portland yards:
- Bald-faced hornets are black and white social wasps that build aerial paper nests.
- Carpenter bees are yellow and black solitary bees that drill holes in wood to lay eggs.
- Cicada killer wasps are black and yellow solitary wasps that can be over 1 1/2 inches long. They dig nest tunnels in the lawn.
- Honey bees are yellow with brown bands. They are social bees that live in hives.
- Paper wasps are brown with yellow markings. They are social wasps and build umbrella-shaped paper nests.
- Yellow jackets are yellow and black social wasps that build underground or aerial paper nests.
If you need assistance with stinging insect identification or removal, Big Blue Bug Solutions is here to help. Contact us today to learn more about our services or to request a free inspection.
The Impact Of Stinging Insects On Health: The Risks Of Infestations
Regarding threat levels, the worst stinging insects are the social species. If you were to approach a nest, there is a good chance they will band together to defend the colony. Many of these pests can sting more than once and are especially dangerous for someone allergic to venom.
If you spot a nest in the yard, ensure your family knows to avoid it and keep pets on a leash to avoid provoking them. Contact us at Big Blue Bug Solutions for assistance removing these dangerous pests and protecting your family from their hazardous stings.
Safety First: The Importance Of Professional Stinging Insect Control
Because of the high probability that these insects will defend their nest, we suggest you never attempt to remove them alone. Professionals have the tools and knowledge to deal with these pests properly and safely. Contact us today at Big Blue Bug Solutions to learn more about our stinging insect control services or to schedule an appointment.
Stay Ahead Of The Buzz: Tips To Prevent Stinging Insect Infestations
Bee, hornet, and wasp prevention is tricky, but there are some steps you can take to avoid attracting them to your property. The following list describes our best tips for deterring stinging insects:
- Tie garbage bags tightly and place them in clean receptacles with secure lids.
- When eating outside, keep your food covered.
- Clean up any crumbs or spills immediately.
- Avoid wearing scented personal care products.
Collaborating your efforts with a professional home pest control company in Portland is the best way to keep these pests at bay. Contact us today at Big Blue Bug Solutions to learn more about our home pest control services or to schedule a free inspection.