Date Posted: March 27, 2023
If you don’t have regular pest control in Southern Maine, you are liable to experience encounters with rodents. Our homes and yards have resources that rodents, like mice and rats, require to survive. Without any defenses, they will persistently be on your land. These pests can be very destructive, and they come with health risks; you or someone else may become sick because of the illnesses rodents can carry.
To say it’s challenging to keep Maine mice and rats away is an understatement. They can enter your residence through tiny holes and they procreate with speed. Storebought products used to eradicate them are often disappointing and potentially dangerous. Find out how Big Blue Bug Solutions can help you get rid of rodents in your home for good.
Why Does My Home Have Rodents Inside It?
Our lawns are the initial draw for rodents, which generally live in vegetated plots. If the grass is high and the greenery isn’t groomed well, your property will be especially alluring to these pests.
The next aspect you need to consider is the state of your foundation and roof lines. Should they be a bit shabby or have a lot of cracks, rodents can bypass them with ease. Mice and rats are common home intruders that have pointy teeth and bendable bodies. They’ll bite around a small gap until it’s feasible for them to squirm through. Rodents usually hide in humid, moist, and dark areas; for instance, cabinets, basements, and attics. Signs of infestation include:
- Hearing scratching and squeaking
- Finding footprints with four or five toes
- Noticing teeth indentations on things
- Discovering rodent droppings
- Frequently smelling unpleasant odors
- Seeing rodents in the daytime; they’re normally active at night
Mice and rats share many physical traits, such as long snouts, globular eyes, scaly tails, and furry bodies. Whether they are black, brown, white, or gray, their stomachs are always lighter. The most notable difference is their size. Mice are two to four inches long, but rats are 5 to 11 inches.
All The Factors That Attract Rodents To Your Property
One reason all types of rodents enter yards is the food supply. They’ll ruin your landscaping and plants trying to gather seeds, grains, fruit, and similar. Your garbage cans could be wrecked too; these animals will devour almost anything. Indoors, they’ll hole up in the kitchen and enjoy whatever is available. Gutters, piping, and the like can possibly provide water. Don’t be surprised if you spot rodents around heated devices, as they favor warmth.
Tips To Keep Rodents Away From Your Home
House rodents will be at a distance if you utilize these tips:
- Try to have a tidy and organized home, as rodents are able to hide among clutter. Prioritize the kitchen; always wash dishes and take out the trash. Put food and garbage in secure containers.
- Fill up crevices and holes with steel wool. Don’t use plastic or rubber because rodents can chew right through it.
- Fix dripping pipes and other moisture-related issues.
- Perform yard maintenance regularly. Snip grass and greenery, cut tree branches away from the property, remove organic debris, and place plants away from your house.
- Routinely clean out gutters and vents.
You can contact us at Big Blue Bug Solutions for more rodent prevention advice.
The Safest Way To Get Rid Of Rodents In Your Home
Store-bought pesticides and traps for rodents in Maine can be pricy, ineffective, and even dangerous. Professional rodent control is your best option if you discover signs of rodents in your home. We at Big Blue Bug Solutions have affordable options that are safe and effective. Our treatments consist of entry point seals, insulation services, and more. Give us a ring; we take calls 24/7!