Date Posted: November 17, 2022
If you believe everything you hear, spiders are lurking around every corner, waiting to bite you with their deadly venom that will kill you immediately. While this may be true in horror movies, spiders aren’t as scary as pop culture would lead you to believe.
Some species of spiders are dangerous, but most would prefer to avoid interaction with humans. To find out more about spiders in South Portland, what they look like, the dangers they can cause, and how professional South Portland pest control can keep your home spider-free, read on and learn from the pros at Big Blue Bug Solutions.
What Do Spiders In South Portland Look Like?
While spiders may be creepy, the majority of spiders we see in South Portland are harmless to humans. Here are some of the common spiders in South Portland:
- House Spider: This spider is small, round, light brown, and usually found in cobwebs around your home
- Jumping Spider: Most easily identifiable by the four large eyes on its face, this spider can jump 25 times its body size.
- Cellar Spider: They range in color from pale yellow to light gray or brown. They are often called daddy long legs because of their long skinny legs and small body.
- Crab Spider: These spiders get their name because they look similar to crabs and move sideways. They are often found outside homes and rarely come indoors.
These are just some of the common spiders you will see. We recommend avoiding handling any spider species as some may bite.
Are Spiders In South Portland Dangerous?
Most species of spider are a harmless nuisance that poses no danger to humans, but you need to be aware of a few potentially dangerous spiders in South Portland.
The black widow spider is not commonly found in our area but is a spider you need to be able to recognize. The black color and red hourglass marking on its abdomen make it easy to identify. The other dangerous spider to be aware of is the yellow sac spider. This spider is a nocturnal hunter, so encounters with humans are rare. They are light yellow or cream colored and less than a half inch in size.
If you have questions about the spider species in your home, call us immediately and let one of our trained experts help you with spider identification.
Easy And Effective Spider Prevention Tips For South Portland Homes
Whether you are dealing with dangerous or just annoying spiders, you don’t want them around your home. Here are some steps you can take to prevent spiders in South Portland:
- Seal cracks and crevices around your home
- Inspect outdoor furniture, decorations, boxes, and bags before bringing them inside
- Eliminate clutter around your home where spiders can hide
- Knock down cobwebs as you see them
- Eliminate other pests that spiders consider prey
These steps can help you limit the number of spiders in your home.
The Secret To Total Spider Control In South Portland
While there are some steps you can take to keep spiders out of your home, there is no substitute for professional spider control. At Big Blue Bug Solutions, we can work with you to quickly eliminate any spiders around your home. Our home pest control plans will also prevent other pests that spiders feed on, giving them less reason to hang around your house.
For total spider control, call us today. We can eliminate the spiders plaguing your home and the other pests that are drawing them there so that you can live without annoying and potentially dangerous spiders threatening your family.