Date Posted: October 7, 2019
Category: Fall Pests
Types of Fall Pests
- Rodents often come in through chimneys and attic vents, so put screens over these openings as well as other vents or spaces around your home.
- Check the exterior of your home for cracks and crevices that provide entry points for different kinds of pests. If you find any spaces in the structure of your home, use caulk or steel wool to seal them up to prevent a pest infestation. Replace the weather-stripping of your home frequently to keep bugs out. Check your screens for holes or rips, and promptly repair them.
- Clear your yard of debris. Leaving plants, woodpiles, or other debris near your home will invite bugs to come closer and can provide them easier access. Keep compost piles far from your front door and keep your yard clean. On that same note, pay attention to your landscaping. Well-trimmed shrubbery, short grass, and a well-raked yard will all discourage pests and offer fewer hiding places for them. Clean your gutters and make sure there is no build-up of debris.
- Most pests seek areas with high humidity. This means that keeping your home dry will keep them away. Be especially intentional about keeping less-used areas dry, like your basement, attic, and crawlspaces. In order to help limit humidity, purchase a dehumidifier or two. This will keep your home dry and will discourage many pests, such as spiders and cockroaches, from spending much time in your home.
- Make food inaccessible to pests. Keep all food stored in airtight sealed containers that can’t be chewed through. Never leave food sitting out. Clean food messes promptly, and never leave dirty dishes out overnight. Don’t leave pet food sitting out overnight, as it will attract pests just as much as human food.
- Inspect items such as deliveries or boxes from storage before bringing them inside. Many fall pests hide in boxes and can be carried inside unknowingly.
Remember Big Blue Bug Solutions can help you create a pest-prevention plan and can step in any time you have a pest problem. Keep your home pest-free this fall, with our help.If you need assistance in keeping fall pests out of your home this year, give Big Blue a call. You'll be glad you did!